GDPR Assistance to help you prepare for 25th May 2018, when the new GDPR legislation comes into effect
At EB Secretarial Solutions, we have spent the last five months working with Annabel Kaye of KoffeeKlatch to learn and implement what is necessary to ensure GDRP Compliance. EB Secretarial Solutions is now as ready as possible for 25th May 2018. We are able to provide GDPR Assistance to help you prepare.
We are now able to assist our Clients with their Data Audit (the first step to GDPR compliance) and then all the way through to helping and ensuring that their systems and processes are compliant with the new regulations.
GDPR Data Audit
A Data Audit is the first and most logical step towards GDPR readiness, and if you have not yet completed one, now is the time. A recent study by the FSB indicates that a staggering 70% of companies have yet to make a start.
EBSS is busy providing GDPR Assistance to our Clients to get to the bottom of GDPR, by helping them understand;
- What Data is
- What Special Category Data is
- What Data they are storing
- What Data they are using
- What the potential Data Breaches are
- Is software retaining Data, and if so where is it stored
One of the trickiest aspects of GDPR is consent. Do you have permission to hold the Data, and specific permission to use it the Data the way you do?
- Are you using ‘Double Opt-In’
- Have you specified why you want the Data
- Is the information you hold current and correct
- Do you need all of the Data you hold
- Have you asked for permission to keep the Data
- Can you prove granularity
If you suffer a ‘reportable’ Data Breach you have 72 hours to notify the ICO, the maximum fines for a Data Breach are 20 Million Euros or 4% of global turnover.
What do you think is the most significant risk where Data is concerned? Do you think the greatest threat will come from Hacking, Malware or Cybercrime? Most experts believe that the most significant risk for SME’s is Human Error. Now that is a scary thought.
So how do you protect your Data from Human Error?
- Have you thought about encrypting your emails
- Have you secured your hard drives and USB devices
- Have you secured your mobile phone, iPad, tablet etc
- Are paper records stored securely
- If you store your electronic Data in the cloud, do you know where the physical servers are located
GDPR Policies & Procedures
EBSS can assist you by reviewing your systems and procedures, to ensure that Data is stored, used and accessed appropriately.
- Review your Privacy policies
- Review what information your website is storing
- Advise on retention of Data
- Advise on the best systems to use
- Review who can access what Data
The easiest way to confront GDPR is to put yourself in the position of your Customers. What exactly would you expect someone to do with your Personal Data?
Would you be happy with your health or financial Data being left lying around for anyone to see?
Currently, there are lots of companies exploiting GDPR. Companies which are trying to sell systems that will make businesses like yours GDPR compliant. It is not that simple. Remember Human Error is the most significant risk to a Data Breach. No computer system can solve that problem.
Before you spend any time or money on a new computer system or software, undertake a Data Audit, we did, and we have restructured the way we operate, what software we use, and how to process data and what data we hold.
EBSS can assist you with your Data Audit; we can even visit your office to provide hands-on assistance.
Thanks to Annabel Kaye of KoffeeKlatch EBSS have spent less than £300 in preparing for 25th May 2018. Learn from us, and we promise you will not waste money on needless systems, software and training, but you will be compliant.
GDPR Is Coming